The Secret World of Spies in London
Everything you always wanted to know about espionage..but were afraid to ask!
A Study Day with former Soviet spy turned espionage historian BORIS VOLODARSKY
In this thrilling Study Day, Dr Boris Volodarsky, a former agent of Soviet military intelligence, the GRU, lifts the (iron) curtain on the real spy world.
Lecture by Andrew Lownie - Historian biographer of Stalin's Englishman: The Lives of Guy Burgess
You will learn:
- Where the Cold War was fought out across London : meeting points, dead letter boxes and safe houses.
- Where Britain's Intelligence agencies MI5 and MI6 operated historically from their formation before WW1, and where they are located today.
- 'Spyspeak': the meaning of 'treffs', 'cutouts', 'illegals' and 'agents of influence'.
- The tricks of the Spies' trade: Code-breaking, cyphers, and electronic intelligence.
- A brief history of britain's secret service : from Elizabeth I to the Cambridge spies.
09.45 Meet at National Liberal Club, 1 Whitehall Pl, Westminster, London SW1A 2HE - October 23rd departure
09.45 Meet at Holiday Inn, Regents Park, Carburton Street, London W1W 5EE - October 23rd departure
10.00 Introduction by BORIS VOLODARSKY: 'The real spy world'.
11.00 Board bus for our tour around 'the spies' London.
12.30 Buffet lunch at The Liberal Club
14.00 Lecture by BORIS VOLODARSKY: 'The Cold War: yesterday, today and tomorrow'.
15.15 Break tea coffee
15.30 Lecture by Andrew Lownie - Historian biographer of Stalin's Englishman: The Lives of Guy Burgess
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
When they’re not travelling around the world with us, hot on the trail of historical knowledge, we know that our guests are a busy lot. But take just one day, and you’d be surprised what you can do — that’s why we’ve condensed all the startling revelations and expert insight you’d expect from our tours into single Study Days, right here in the UK. We update our list regularly, so be sure to keep an eye out!